Blue Moon Cupcakes with Orange Frosting

30 May

IMG_0012

It’s the beginning of summer here in the Mid-Atlantic, and for those of us living between the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays, that can only mean one thing – blue crab season is upon us. For those not familiar with the rite of picking crabs, take comfort that the requirements are few: plain brown paper to cover the table, a roll or two of paper towels, a small wooden mallet, a platter piled high with steaming hot Maryland Blue Crabs smothered in Old Bay, and non-stop pitchers of ice-cold beer.

IMG_0013

As the locals know, picking crabs is an art form, one that does NOT include bashing the crab to smithereens with the mallet. (This is often how out-of-towners and novices give themselves away.) A practiced crab picker, using only his/her hands, can have a nice fat crab de-legged, de-shelled, and de-lunged, and enjoying a nice juicy morsel of crab meat in a matter of seconds. The mallet, if used at all, is only for the claws.

The proper accompaniment for this feast is beer, pitchers and pitchers of ice-cold beer. This is not the time for a little summer sangria, minty mojito or a bright sauvignon blanc. With crabs, you need something that’s going to go down fast and easy and tame that Old Bay spice. And not just any beer either. As much as I love a good, dark, creamy craft ale, for this job you need something light, refreshing and summery – I recommend the classic Blue Moon Belgian White Ale – with a slice of orange, of course.

IMG_0005

It was only a few summers ago that I had my first Blue Moon. It was the perfect summer day, not too hot, plenty of sunshine, when a few of us decided to go out for a little lunch al fresco on the water. As we waited for our order to arrive, we noticed servers bustling back and forth with trays loaded with glasses of beer garnished with orange slices…..orange slices??? Intrigued, we ordered a round for ourselves, and so it was I was introduced to Blue Moon Belgian White Ale. To me, this was a perfect summer ale – not too light, not too strong, just the right amount of body and deliciously refreshing. It still is my go-to summer beer. Perfect for cook-outs, barbecues and of course, picking crabs.

IMG_0006

These cupcakes are an homage to my favorite summer ale – Blue Moon infused, orange-flecked yellow cupcakes topped with the perfect orange buttercream frosting. The ale makes the cupcakes nice and light and perfect for the warm days of summer, and best of all, you can eat them in hand, no mallet needed.

BLUE MOON CUPCAKES

These cupcakes start with a box mix. I recommend following the directions on the box, but substituting the amount of water called for with the same amount of beer. I used a Betty Crocker mix for these cupcakes and so I’ve listed the ingredients called for on the box. Other brands may differ slightly.

1 Box yellow cake mix

1 cup Blue Moon Ale

3 eggs

1/2 cup oil

grated peel from 1/2 orange

Combine all ingredients in large bowl of stand mixer. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fill paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or as directed, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

IMG_0009

ORANGE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 stick butter, softened

4-5 cups confectioners sugar

juice and grated peel from 1 orange

Enjoy!

IMG_0011

Advertisements

20 Responses to “Blue Moon Cupcakes with Orange Frosting”

1. Sue S. May 12, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this. I made them today and they are to-die-for!

• Linda May 12, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

Thanks for the positive feedback! If you get a chance, check out my other posts using Leininkugel and lemon frosting, or Corona with lime frosting….so yummy!

2. Lindsay August 26, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Just wondering, using the beer with the box cake mix does it stay light and fluffy or did they get denser and more muffin like? Thanks in advance!!

• Linda August 26, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Yes, I’ve found adding carbonated beverages, like beer, really keeps the cupcake light and fluffy and moist – give it a try!

3. Arianne December 30, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

what if the box doesn’t call for oil. Do I still add it?

• Linda December 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

That’s a good question. I usually follow the directions on the box, but just swap out the liquids with the beer.

• Arianne January 1, 2015 at 11:52 am #

I tried your method and they were a tad dry I’ll just up the oil a bit next time but they were at hit at the bye party I went to last night!

• Linda January 1, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks for the feedback – I’m glad they were a hit!

• Arianne January 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

I lowered the oil it seemed a bit much. I forgot to mention that lol

4. s March 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

my hub works at coors in co. now i finally have a dessert to make with all that blue moon. thanks!

5. Linda March 12, 2015 at 5:59 am #

What a great company perk!

6. Heather H August 4, 2016 at 3:43 pm #

Would an orange box cake work?

• Linda August 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm #

Sure, I think that would make it even tastier!

7. Ad March 9, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

This should work to make a cake too right?

• Linda March 9, 2017 at 5:54 pm #

Definitely! Might need a little more frosting if you are making a layer cake. Let me know how it turns out!

8. Linda April 14, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks for the shout out, I really appreciate it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blue Moon Cupcakes | happy wife, happy life - July 24, 2013

[…] My dads birthday was on Saturday and I didn’t really know what to get him, so instead of going out and buying him something totally awesome I opted to stay in and make him something totally awesome: Blue Moon (yes, the beer!) cupcakes! I found the recipe here. […]

2. DIRTY PIRATE RUM AND COKE CUPCAKES | buicupcakes - September 20, 2013

[…] took a chance and figured if it works for beer, it’ll work for Coke too. So, as I did for my Blue Moon Cupcakes, I followed the directions on the box but substituted the water with the Coke. I’ve noticed […]

3. Blue Moon Cupcakes with Orange Frosting Recipe | Home to Home DIY Home to Home DIY - April 14, 2014

[…] B.U.I Cupcakes: Blue Moon Cupcakes with Orange Frosting […]

4. Drinker's Guide to the Valley | Category: Beer - November 28, 2015

[…] Cream butter in large bowl of stand mixer. Add 4 cups confectioners sugar, orange peel and 1/3 of orange juice, on low speed until blended and then at high speed for 4-5 minutes, adding more sugar and/or juice until desired consistency is reached. Frost as desired. These cupcakes recipe was found here. […]